Lighten Your Load on the Trail
Workshop and Overnight Backpacking Trip
Bean Blossom, IN
July 27-28, 2019
Trip Leader: Leslie Green
Type of Trip: Backpacking
Trip Cost/Deposit: $55
Cancellation Date and full payment: June 27, 2019
Wilderness Level: 1
Trip Difficulty: Easy/Beginner
Group Size: 10/8 Maximum/Minimum
Adults and Youth 16+ with Adult
Have you complained and labored with the weight of your backpack? Do you come home from a hike with a pack full of extra stuff you didn’t even use? Are you new to backpacking and don’t know what to bring? This hands-on training session will give you techniques, tricks, tools and tips to reduce the weight you carry on the trail. Then you’ll put your new-found knowledge (and gear) to the test with an overnight hike. We will use some of the ideas of the ultralight hiking gurus without risking comfort or safety. This trip could be good for beginning backpackers that haven’t yet invested in equipment and can use the information to select the best, lightest gear. The session includes:
* Making and using your own alcohol stove cook kit
* Making a ditty bag of camp essentials at less than 8 ounces
* Making a personal first aid kit
* Determining your clothing system for various seasons
* Evaluating your sleep system and shelter system – examining options
* Evaluating water treatment systems and the lightest weight options for various situations
* Creating a menu that provides tasty, substantive nutrition and energy without weighing you down
* Learning what things weigh zero in your pack
The cost of the workshop and trip includes all food (lunch, dinner, breakfast, and snacks); a new cook kit (stove, pan, lid, wind screen) that you will create, fuel for cooking and a ditty bag with toiletries & a first aid kit that you will assemble. You’ll also receive a resource guide that you can use after the trip.
We’ll spend the morning and early afternoon on Saturday in a location to be determined in Brown County and then take an overnight hike to the Fox Den on the Tecumseh Trail.
All trip participants must fill out and submit a CIWC Medical Form and Long Waiver Form.