CIWC would like to thank the following folks for helping publicize our events:
The following companies distribute our brochures to prospective members:
- REI Castleton, Indianapolis, IN
- Nurpu River and Mountain Supply, Noblesville, IN
- Circle City Bicycles
- Rusted Moon Outfitters, Broadripple, Indianapolis.
- J. L. Waters in Bloomington, nice outdoor gear shop on the main square downtown.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
Favorite Places to Visit: (in no particular order)
- Appalachian Trail, America’s best known backpacking trail.
- Vermont Appalachian Trail
- Red River Gorge, CIWC leads a backpacking trip each spring to this area. It’s a great trip for beginners.
- Big South Fork, a popular area for backpacking and canoeing.
- Door County Wisconsin. We visit this area for bicycling, sea kayaking and cross-country skiing.
- Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, one of America’s premier canoeing areas.
- Maumee Bay State Park, OH
- Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, KY
- Nantahala Outdoor Center, NC
- Isle Royale National Park
- Roan Highlands of TN and NC
- Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA
… in Indiana:
- Morgan Monroe State Forest.
- The Knobstone Trail. We often visit this trail for weekend backpacks and for a trail maintenance weekend in the fall.
- Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area. This is a great place to visit in October or November when the sandhill cranes are migrating southward.
- Westwood Park, New Castle, IN.
- Battle Ground, IN, Tippecanoe County Parks and Recreation.
- Eagle Viewing Days at the Cayuga Generating Station in Cayuga, IN.
- Yellowwood State Forest
- IU Outdoor Adventures. IUOA is an outdoor recreation program that serves the Bloomington campus and surrounding community. If you love the great outdoors, IUOA is the place to get in gear for your next trip! You can rent or buy quality camping and hiking gear, organize a custom experience, take skills courses for college credit, climb our new bouldering wall, or sign up for Adventure Trips.
- Ball State Outdoor Pursuits plans adventure trips for BSU students, rents gear and plans classes such as Wilderness First Aid.
- Hoosier Rails to Trails. The mission of Hoosier Rails to Trails Council (HRTC) is to advocate for trails and greenways in Indiana . Accordingly, HRTC advocates for trails generally, rail-trails specifically. As such we also promote and advocates for walking bicycling, and non-motor transportation as well as environmentally wise land use, while building for healthy living and lifestyles.
- Indianapolis Hiking Club, one of the largest hiking organizations in the country.
- CIBA Central Indiana Bicycling Association
- Indiana Outfitters, Indiana’s online outdoor recreation guide.
- Hoosier Hikers Council, trail maintenance, development, and advocacy.
- Hoosier Mountain Bike Association, Inc. (HMBA), a statewide organization with the mission to promote responsible mountain biking and work towards the goals of common land access and natural resource protection in Indiana through interaction with policy makers, the cycling industry, race promoters, mountain bikers and other trail users.
- Hoosier Canoe Club
- DINOseries.com, home of Indiana’s premier off-road events.
- Kevinlikestohike.com: Leave No Trace/Scouting Events, home of Kevin Ayers and Indiana’s premier off-road events.
Other Good Sites:
- kevincallan.com. The Canadian humorist who also is a paddler.
- cliff-jacobson.com. The master educator and outdoor writer about expedition canoeing.
- canoeing.com. The ultimate guide to canoeing, expedition style.
- paddling.net. A great paddle resource.
- backcountry.com. A good on-line store for hiking and camping equipment.
- willowhavenoutdoor.com. Local self reliance and survival classes.
- Boundary Waters Journal
- Central Indiana Land Trust. Through land protection, stewardship and education, the Central Indiana Land Trust Incorporated preserves natural habitat, improving air and water quality and enhancing life in our communities for present and future generations.
- Backpacker Magazine
- Geocaching.com. A new excuse to buy that GPS unit.
- Bicycling Magazine
- Leave No Trace. The Center for Outdoor Ethics is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and inspiring responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.
- Paddlesongs.com. True and Deep: Songs for the Heart of the Paddler. With songwriting credits on over 15 million records and paddling credits on countless lakes and rivers in the United States, Canada and Mexico, award-winning singer/songwriter Jerry Vandiver has brought two of his passions together in creating this unique collection of songs that speak to the paddler’s soul.